Children with learning difficulties
Some students who have no obvious physical or mental impairment can have trouble managing tasks necessary for learning, such as concentrating, keeping still, making themselves clear or understanding tasks set in class. Almost all schools will be able to help, either by using specialists to diagnose the problem or by helping teachers and parents to determine ways of coping. Some schools have developed special expertise in handling one or more learning difficulties.
There are also several organisations that assist parents:
- Australian Capital Territory: Education and Training Directorate
- New South Wales:Learning Difficulties Coalition NSW
- Northern Territory:Â Department of Education (NT)
- Queensland:Queensland Positive Learning Centres
- South Australia:Â Specific Learning Difficulties Association of South Australia
- Tasmania: Department of EducationÂ (TAS)
- Victoria: Specific Learning Difficulties Association of Victoria Inc.
- Western Australia:Â Learning Disability Education Service
For further information, visit the Learning Difficulties Australia website.Â