Studying in Queensland

International students wishing to study in Queensland are faced with a number of choices when it comes to studying at school: Do they wish to study short term or long term? Do they wish to complete individual study, or would they prefer group classes? Do they want to study an intensive English course? There are many options on offer for international students in Queensland:

Primary school

For students from abroad who wish to partake in school studies from Years 1 to 7, there are many schools in Queensland that accommodate international students. These schools are known as ˜EQI primary schools'. International students who enrol in these programs are offered quality ESL support in school and are able to participate in the standard Queensland primary school curriculum. Each EQI school has an International Student Counsellor who is trained to help and provide advice on a range of study and personal matters. Students must stay in Australia for a minimum of six months and must live with a close family relative to be eligible to study at a Queensland primary school.

High school (graduate program)

International students from Years 8 to 12 can complete the Queensland high school graduate program. If the students continue onto Years 11 and 12, they may be eligible to receive the Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE), which is an internationally recognised qualification. To be eligible for entry into an EQI high school, international students must have attained high academic results in their home country, and must be proficient in English. In terms of living arrangements, students under the age of 14 must be living in Australia with a close family relative.

All international students must have a valid student visa while they are studying in Australia.

High school study abroad

International students can also complete a high school study abroad program in Australia. It typically involves studying in Queensland for three, six, nine or 12 months. There are over 50 accredited schools in Queensland that offer study abroad, some of which specialise in areas such as marine studies and tourism. Entry requirements are the same as the standard high school stream (see above).

For more information on all of these programs, see the Education Queensland International website.

If your child is an international student wishing to study in Australia, the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) lists all government accredited institutions (including secondary schools) registered to offer courses to overseas students. Every institution that seeks to recruit, enrol or teach overseas students, or advertise their ability to do so, must be registered with CRICOS for each course they offer to overseas students. More information can be found on the Studies in Australia website. Here, you will find an overview of the Australian education system, with advice on key topics such as visa requirements and application procedures, along with detailed profiles of educational institutions that offer courses.

Back to top

Popular schools
Browse more schools

Become a member

Already a member? LoginForgot password?

Join the conversation