Wesley College is one of the leading International Baccalaureate (IB) coeducational schools in Australia. It is also the only school in Victoria to offer an IB Programme, which spans from Primary through to Senior School.
Our world-class IB Programme includes:
- The International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB PYP) – three-years-old to Year 6
- The Middle Years Programme (IB MYP) – Years 7 to 10
- The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB DP) - Years 11 and 12
The IB Programme applies Wesley’s ethos of a ’true education’, providing a balanced approach to learning, with an emphasis on developing the whole person. It aims to instil in our students enquiring, internationally-minded thinking, in order to become active and compassionate, global citizens.
Primary Years Programme (IB PYP)
At Wesley College, the Primary Years Programme (PYP) is focused on building our students’ conceptual understanding, knowledge, skills and attitudes, not only to excel in their studies, but also for their personal growth and understanding of the world. It is grounded in a deep belief about the nature of learning and a desire to develop students who have an international outlook.
Six transdisciplinary themes of global significance provide a dynamic framework for exploration and study:
- Who we are
- Where we are in place and time
- How we express ourselves
- How the world works
- How we organise ourselves
- Sharing the planet
An international education is dynamic and responds to ever-changing global needs. Through an exploration of concepts such as conflict resolution, cultural identity, individual and collective responsibility and sustainability, we aim to develop in our children an understanding of their power to enact change at personal, local and global levels.
— Wesley College Primary Staff
Middle Years Programme (IB MYP)
The Middle Years Programme (MYP) ¬¬enables students to learn and grow during a pivotal time in their lives.
It builds on the knowledge and skills developed through the IB PYP, fostering a sense of intellectual curiosity, and providing students with an opportunity to express their thoughts and perspectives on what they have learnt.
Diploma Programme (IB DP)
Wesley offers several pathways to Senior School students and a growing number of students (nearly half the Year 12 cohort) are electing to do our globally recognised International Baccalaureate Programme (IB DP).
Our IB DP provides a rigorous two-year pre-university curriculum, characterised by:
- Academic breadth, depth and rigour that are recognised by universities worldwide
- Emphasis on promoting international awareness among students
- Attention to developing socially responsible citizens of the world with an awareness of global perspectives
At Wesley, we work with each student to help them select the study path that is right for them and ensure they make informed choices about their future.
The IB DP is suited to students who aspire to pursue tertiary studies at university in Australia or overseas and are interested in developing their international awareness and communication skills.
Academic excellence in 2016
In 2016, 163 of our students presented for the IB DP, which represents 46 per cent of our Year 12 cohort.
Some of the highlights of their outstanding achievements include:
- The IB DP median ATAR was 94.60
- Four IB DP students achieved the highest possible ATAR of 99.95 and a perfect score of 45. These students are: Jemima Montag, Cameron Pollaers, Ronlee Korren and Jadene Yip.
- 19 Wesley IB DP students scored in the top one per cent of Australia, achieving an ATAR greater than 99.00
- 75per cent of IB DP students achieved an ATAR of 90.00 or above
- 185 perfect study/subject scores were attained across the IB DP cohort
The uniform is compulsory and enforced
Number of students
Total enrolment: 1537
Gender in depth
Accepts international students
Math classes: streamed and mixed
English classes: mixed
Senior secondary subjects overview
46 VCE level 3/4 studies
173 VCE students
LOTE taught to Unit 4 level:
Senior secondary programs overview
9 VET program(s) available
38 VET students
Scores of 40+ 12%
Median Score 33
Satisfactory completions of VCE 100%
Satisfactory completions of VET 98%
Bachelor enrolled 99%
TAFE/VET enrolled 1%
IB Grade of 6 – 7 57%
Satisfactory completions of IB Diploma 97%
15 other clubs, activities and services